Followers

Sunday, 9 March 2014

I love light bulb moments....

Good afternoon/,morning/evening...(delete as appropriate...), I thought I would do a quick blog post to let you share in my light bulb moment....

As part of my DT day on SDD I have a Try Something New section...this can be anything, sometimes something very simple, sometimes more complicated, a new card shape, a new technique, a new bit of stash. This week I was going to just use my glue gun for the first time, I got it a couple of years before moving here to Ireland but have never plucked up the courage to plug it in...too many painful warnings of burnt fingers and lost finger prints (not very useful unless you are going to take up cat burgulary...).

Well, I found the gun and some glue sticks and went to plug it in...I had prepared my desk with a glass mat, a silicone mat and a sheet of baking paper, I wasn't taking any chances.. Now I have a few bits tucked away under the desk, my embossing boards and whisper inks to name but a few, and when I saw them, that was when it hit me, the light bulb switched on and my brain started whirring...What If ?????

I have a full two sets of Fiskars texture plates and I have no background stamps....would it be possible to make my own stamps from hot glue and texture plates...well I had to try didn't I !!!


So I took a plate and melted some glue onto it....turned it over onto the baking paper and pressed...

So this was when I realised that the glue wouldn't just lift off...whoops....oh well, we learn from our mistakes don't we..

For attempt number 2 I used some kitchen paper to wipe over the plate with some cooking oil...SUCCESS !!!!
I need a bit more practice and I would also like to see what I can do with some freebie embossing boards I have got from magazines over the years...but in the meantime, this is what I have managed...I particularly liked the feathers and the scales would look great with a fishy card...



As I said at the beginning...I do so love light bulb moments....now to work out how to remove the first attempt from the plate...a heat gun to soften the glue maybe... 

No comments:

Post a Comment